• Hallo Gast, wir suchen den Renner der Woche 🚴 - vielleicht hast du ein passendes Rennrad in deiner Garage? Alle Infos

transporting a Rennrad, disassembled and in a bag, with Deutsche Bahn

PomodoroPazzo

Neuer Benutzer
apologies for posting in English.

Short:
What's the exact rule, from Deutsche Bahn, if any existing, regarding the maximum size of bag that can be taken on a train without extra cost?

Long:
I sometimes travel by train, transporting my bicycle. Bicycle with wheels removed, all inside a bag. Of course overall the bag is much smaller than a bicycle. But bigger than most (all?) other bags. Done many times, in many different situation and never a problem. Never bothered to buy an extra Fahrradkarte, because I assumed the bicycle, disassembled and bagged, counted as a bag and not as a bicycle.

But now I got the first problem. DB controller demanded the Fahrradkarte, which I didn't have and I volunteered to buy there and then. He said "can't do it now, train too full, get out and board a later train".

I wouldn't mind too much having to pay slightly more for the Fahrradkarte every time. But I sometimes travel by train 12hr, 1200km, 6 segments. So if I need a Fahrradkarte for the whole trip, as some trains/segments simply are not set for transporting bicycle, with or without Fahrradkarte, I could end up arriving at destination the following day (already happened when DB had a delay, no bike that time), 24hr instead of 12hr. Huge hassle.

I searched the DB website hoping to find exact info regarding maximum permitted bag size, but couldn't find a good answer. Only vague statement like "if it's smaller than bla bla you probably won't have problem", not very German.

People transport skiis, baby pram, Rollstuhle, music instrument, no need of an extra special ticket.

What's the max size I can take for a bag?

Thank you

Hilfreichster Beitrag geschrieben von T-lo

Hilfreich
Zum Beitrag springen →
Thanks.
This is what I've been doing many times over a few years. And I never had a problem. Until last week, that I was forced to get off because 1) I didn't have a Fahrradkarte, and 2) the DB controller didn't sell me the Fahrradkarted, apparently required even though the bicycle was disassambled and bagged, as he claimed the train was too full. Indeed, the train was very full, though my bagged bicycle was not causing inconvenience to anyone.

According to this page, the size should not exceed 700x500x300 (which sounds rather small).

However, this does not seem to be a rule set in stone, looks more like a recommendation.

According to this page, there's no limit:

"Gepäck im Zug​

Sie brauchen keine Reservierung für Ihr Gepäck und müssen Ihre Gepäckstücke vor der Reise auch nicht abwiegen oder ausmessen. Dennoch finden Sie hier nützliche Tipps und Informationen für Ihre Bahnreise mit Gepäck."

The statement in bold means "you don't need to weigh or measure your luggage".

I my experience, if a bicycle is not identfieable as such, it does not require a bicycle tariff - you may just have met an overeager conductor...

I would agree. If a train is very crowded and there is not enough space for all the luggage (or all the travellers), they can ask people to leave the train and take a later one just because it's no longer save (emergency exits and so on and to forth). I guess it's bad luck that they picked you, maybe because your bike was somewhere where it was causing trouble, maybe just because it was the largest bag.
There are no general rules in regard to the size of the luggage. As long as the bike is not clearly a bike, you don't need to pay extra for it (stuffing it into waste bags normally works as well).

What kind of train have you been into? ICE or IC would not have worked with a Fahrradkarte without a reservation for a bike spot...

Deutsche Bahn or its controllers don't sell any tickets in the train, that's normal. But that the controller claimed, that you need a ticket for a disassembeled bike is bs. Sorry!

Maybe he thought, you would leave the overcrowded train more easily and without disscussions, if you think you're missing a ticket and you are just happy not being fined for that.

Depending on what regional train there is different rules about bikes and buying a ticket or not but thats for assembled ones. Luggage should be luggage No matter whats inside. How did that conductor knew that you were transporting a bike?

Depending on what regional train there is different rules about bikes and buying a ticket or not but thats for assembled ones. Luggage should be luggage No matter whats inside. How did that conductor knew that you were transporting a bike?
I go with that. As long as your not transporting anything dangerous, what exactly you have in your bag is non of the controllers Business. But i suppose, anyway, its their responsibility if they want you to leave the train youll have to…

He said "can't do it now, train too full, get out and board a later train".
As @c_w said, they can demand people to take another train if it is too crowded, regardless what's in your luggage. I hope you didn't buy another ticket for that later train, did you? Your ticket is still valid, you may board any train—though it is helpful to go to the DB shop at the train station and describe your situation. You then get a sheet of paper you can show the conductor at the later train. This step is not necessary but makes it easier.

Almost forgot the most important thing: If you were already on that train before it arrived at the station where it got crowded, maybe you even had a seat reservation, I can't recall a situation where people like you were asked to get out. Instead, people who are just boarding the train or who are sitting on the floor are often asked to take a later train.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Not true. Travelling in Bayern with a bicycle, i bought a bayern-fahrradkarte with the “Schaffner” as he controlled my ticket because I didn’t know at the time i needed one…
Interesting. I was told by a conductor, that they don't sell on trains. They say, that you need to have a valid ticket BEFORE entering the train, bc they don't sell (at least in Thuringia).

How long ago was ist, that you bought it onboard? And was it really Deutsche Bahn (not another company like Abellio)?

They do sell tickets on board based on goodwill... But yes, in general it is true that you need to have a valid ticket before entering the train.

Interesting. I was told by a conductor, that they don't sell on trains. They say, that you need to have a valid ticket BEFORE entering the train, bc they don't sell (at least in Thuringia).

How long ago was ist, that you bought it onboard? And was it really Deutsche Bahn (not another company like Abellio)?
Maybe there is a different spirit in different countries.

Knowing the problem, I delved deep into the Deutsche Bahn regulations after a similar situation. Because of course you're right: your previous findings are not "very German".

The conditions of carriage are regulated in the AGB. You can find them here.
It says under 7.1.1 that you can take one "luggage, easy to carry" with you free of charge, which is then defined as hand luggage. Its size is not defined in terms of dimensions, but is restricted by the wording that you are only allowed to store it "above and below the seat". A bicycle can therefore be ruled out as hand baggage in this sense.
This is followed by 7.1.2, which refers to "small electric vehicles" and also stipulates that they must be able to be stowed in the luggage racks. In terms of size, this also does not include bicycles.
Then 7.2, which allows one (!) additional piece of luggage as a "load", becomes even more interesting. However, this is subject to the restriction "provided there is sufficient space for it in the luggage racks provided for this purpose". Any "load" that cannot be transported under these criteria, either because of its own size or because the luggage compartment is already full, "may be checked in by the traveller as baggage in accordance with the applicable regulations". Once again, no chance for a (dismantled and packed) bicycle.

All in all, the conditions of carriage, which are an integral part of the contract, state that you cannot insist on taking anything except a small piece of hand luggage and possibly a larger suitcase if there is space. Or, to put it another way, that everything that goes beyond this, e.g. the second suitcase on the way to the airport, depends on the good humour of the train attendant.

You wanted a German regulation? There you have it! ;)

There is written "law" and then there is something like the application of this law in real life ...

In case of Doitschi Baan, if and how these rules are applied differs widely depending on the "official" you are dealing with. Some Zugbegleiters are relaxed, positive and helpful, they will take the rules with a pinch of salt and may even go out of their way to find creative solutions. Others are adhering strictly to every single letter of the "written law". Which may be, if you are lucky, the actual rules ... or, if you are unlucky, just what they thought the rules are! My guess is, you were unlucky enough to encounter a prime example of this latter species ... and yes, the complicated and fragmented rules for travelling with bikes and luggage do not help in the first place ...

So my recommendation would be not to lose too much sleep over this incident ... especially not to try too hard making sense of what happend to you. It was probably just a misinformed or hypermotivated individual ...

Travelling with Doichii Baan these days is generally a gamble, a royal pain in the ass that requires a decent amount of resolve and steadfastness on the side of the passenger. Always bring loads of time and tolerance against all sorts of abuse, plan your travel in a way that allows for missing a certain train, whether it is delayed, canceled or has to be evacuated, or, like in your case, your are sent off a train by officials (be it for reasons justified or unjustified) ... or you might simply get off half way at your own discretion, because your fellow travellers turn out to be an insufferable hoard of Neandertals. Of course, in case you were wrongly made to buy additional tickets, you should file a complaint an have these reimbursed.

Zurück
Oben Unten